Popular Posts

Thursday, January 6, 2011

FROM A LONER TO A LOVER.

As if finding myself in Romeo’s bed wasn’t bad enough, Julliet decides to come and try to make amence with her man on this very morning. We didn’t expect her at all so naturally I answered the door half asleep with a towel wrapped around me.
Opening the door totally sobered me up. It was her. Julz. I was startled. I stood at the door like a stooge. She gave me suspicious look weighing me from top to bottom with a sneer. She shoved me to the side and walked straight into the bedroom where she found an even worse scene. At least I was in a towel. Romeo was in his full birthday suit. I quickly slipped into a dress and dashed to the kitchen. All I could hear was screams and bangs. The next thing I knew, Romeo was throwing out all her belongings and telling her straight to her face,
“It was over a long time ago. It just took me time to realize.”
She threw herself on the crying bitterly. She asked me why. How I could do this to her yet I was like a sister. I cried too. I was drowned in guilt. To date I swear, I didn’t mean for it to happen. Alcohol just tends to trick the mind sometimes. I wished I could explain to her but every time I tried to utter a word, I only cried out loud. The worst part was when Romeo asked me to shut the door when she leaves, and he locked himself in his room. I can’t help hating myself for that day. It was a day never to forget. Julliet humbly picked her belongings and bid me good bye. Her last words to me were,
“I only pity you”
I thought to myself that even if it was me in her shoes, I would have said the same. How could I be so stupid and so blind? How could I let this happen? The girl who saved me from my distress?
I blamed myself.
I locked the door behind her and Romeo walked out of his room apologizing to me. Whatever for I didn’t understand then. I was so confused. He gave me a tight hug repeating himself time and again,
“I am so sorry baby”
I burst into tears in his arms telling him that it was my fault. That I should have said no. That was the first time he uttered the three little words ‘I LOVE YOU’.
It took me time to recover but in the end I did. I moved into his room and was officially called his wife. (Come we stay) We build a strong love crazy about one another. Romeo was just perfect, all loving and romantic. He didn’t have to wait for Valentine’s Day to bring me roses. He didn’t sit back and watch me do the house chores. He used to have a guys night out but not after we fell in love. He worshiped the ground I walked on. He treasured and pampered me. He taught me how to shoot pool, taught me the art of making love. Being away from him for hours felt like days. I was that fond of his love. I felt like it was all too good to be true.
With time, I made introductions with my folks. He was an orphan but had an extended family which he introduced me to. Within about 4 months, we had a customary wedding. His family and mine met, exchanged gifts and blessed us. Now I felt like a wife. For my step mother, it was like she was more than glad that I had left the scene. Her family was now a nuclear one. I also felt relieved and settled. I remember I was the most suspected member of the family. They all used to look down on me. I would get tested every January and July for pregnancy, STD’s(even though I knew just one boy the), drugs and HIV. Once, my urine tested positive for substance abuse. I was given a thorough flogging for that and kicked out of the house. I didn’t mind it. In fact I enjoyed the peace and quiet.
I was now living in my own house with my own husband and I loved it. I was especially relived of those annual jabs and tests. At 18 my step mother even wanted to have me injected for family planning. This was on of the many endless reasons why we fought. But moving in with Romeo brought all these things to a halt. Life was filled with bliss. He paid for my college and I cleared my course in journalism. I then began tarmacking in search of a job. He didn’t like it but I wasn’t going to spend all my time just taking care of him. I liked to get busy. And with my step mother’s help, I found a vacancy in one of the Porsche residential Hotels in the outskirts of our beautiful city Nairobi. I was very happy. I passed my interview by all means. The pretty face played a big role in this.
“All you need now is to have a medical check up. We need to know that you are fine. And if you have any allergies the doctor shall indicate that as well. It is a normal procedure. In two weeks time we shall be handed your results and you will start working with immediate effect” the handsome young white manager explained.
That wasn’t asking for too much. I was given directions to the business doctor’s clinic. This hotel was very well organized. They even had a Doctor for their staff. If one fell sick he/she would receive free consultation and treatment. The accounts office would sort him and it wouldn’t be deducted from the pay slip.
I already liked the idea of working as a waitress here. At least until I could find an attachment in a media house.
So I went straight to the clinic and had the medical check. They asked for my urine, which shook me a little as I remembered my last encounter with the same. But I confidently gave it to them. They also took my stool, only God knows why, and then withdrew quite an amount of my blood. Well went through the whole process successfully. I was only a little worried about the urine test. I was asked to come back after two weeks.

(To be continued……………………………)

2 comments: